Celebrate Cybersecurity Awareness Month by Learning How to Protect Yourself Online
This October, we celebrate Cybersecurity Awareness Month by joining organizations worldwide to highlight the importance of cybersecurity and empower our communities to protect themselves from cybercrime.
Here are four things the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) recommends you to do TODAY to protect yourself:
- Think Before You Click – Recognize and Report Phishing: If a link looks a little off, think before you click. It could be an attempt to get sensitive information or install malware.
- Update Your Software: Don’t delay – If you see a software update notification, act promptly. Better yet, turn on automatic updates.
- Use Strong Passwords: Use passwords that are long, unique, and randomly generated. Use password managers to generate and remember different, complex passwords for each of your accounts. A passwords manager will encrypt passwords securing them for you!
- Enable Multi-Factor Authentication: You need more than a password to protect your online accounts, and enabling MFA makes you significantly less likely to get hacked.
Join the Cybersecurity Capture the Flag (CTF) Challenge
If you’re interested in breaking into the multibillion-dollar cybersecurity industry. Gain hands-on cybersecurity training by joining the Cybersecurity Capture the Flag Challenge.
- No experience is needed, and all majors and backgrounds are welcome!
- Chance to win a pair of AirPods Pro
- Earn points towards becoming a SCET Student Innovation Fellow
- Get started by going to https://scetctf.org/register
Cybersecurity Speaker Series
SCET and Berke1337 are hosting a cybersecurity speaker series to help you learn more about cybersecurity and how you can join this exciting industry. Join us to learn from industry leaders in cybersecurity, get your questions answered, and how you can protect yourself online. Learn more about each event and register below!
Oct 6 – Cyber Guest Speaker and CTF Mentorship Event HOSTED BY BERKE1337 Online & Recorded 6:30-7:30pm
Guest Speaker: Samantha Beaumont
Come to learn about how to get started hacking cars or even into banks, Samantha Beaumont will be sharing how she got started working on the latest BMWs to ensure their safety for consumers.
Oct 13 – Cyber Guest Speaker and CTF Mentorship Event HOSTED BY BERKE1337 Online & Recorded 6:30-7:30pm
Guest Speaker: Christopher Kirk
Come learn about how to become a real-life superhero. Christopher Kirk will be sharing his experience on the DART team at Microsoft where he and his team ensure the largest corporations are safe from malicious hackers.
Oct 20 – Cyber Guest Speaker and CTF Mentorship Event HOSTED BY BERKE1337 Online & Recorded 6:30-7:30pm
Guest Speaker: Ryen Macababbad
Join to learn from Ryen who is a leader in her industry, previously leading a team at Microsoft to her new role as a Senior Manager at New Relic.