Startup Semester at Berkeley
Startup Semester at Berkeley
Applications for Spring 2018 now open!
Apply by October 15th, 2017.
Spend a semester at UC Berkeley learning entrepreneurship and innovation
Who Should Apply?
This exclusive full semester program, targeted at upper division undergraduates, will provide qualified students from around the world access to faculty and curriculum in a leading entrepreneurship program.
The program is created for students who are interested in:
- Increasing their technical knowledge of entrepreneurship and innovation
- Advancing a startup or startup idea
- Understanding how to commercialize research
- Experiencing the entrepreneurial culture of Silicon Valley and the Bay Area
This program allows for up to a 15-unit load for one semester. Transferable credit can be offered through the hosting university or UC Berkeley Extension under Concurrent Enrollment.
The semester will consist of a eight-unit Entrepreneurial Core consisting of the esteemed Newton Lecture Series or the Silicon Valley Introduction to Finance for Entrepreneurs and a Challenge Lab of the student’s choice.
Electives are specifically chosen to supplement the core curriculum with IEOR / SCET courses and/or University courses. These are intended to provide students with lifelong learning to enhance the basics taught through the Core courses.
Newton Lecture Series
As part of the Entrepreneurial Core, students will partake in the Newton Lecture series and meet esteemed global and local distinguished innovators to learn from their successes and failures. Read more.
In a competition-based format, students work in cross-discipline lean start-up teams vying to create innovative products. Teams will navigate realistic weekly challenges introduced through case studies. Read more.
The Berkeley Method of Entrepreneurship Bootcamp
The bootcamp facilitates immersive learning for new venture creation. This workshop offers a one-of-a-kind experience in one of the premier institutions in Silicon Valley. Read more.
Entrepreneurial Core (required courses)
- INDENG 135/290: Applied Data Science with Venture Applications (3 units)
- INDENG 171: Technology Firm Leadership (3 units)
- INDENG 185-001: The Challenge Lab; Internet 3.0 (4 units)
- INDENG 185-002: The Challenge Lab Plant Based Meat 2.0 (4 units)
- INDENG 186: Product Management (3 units)
- INDENG 190c: Collider Project/ Sprints (2 units)
- INDENG 190e: Lean Transfer (3 units)
- INDENG 191: Technology Entrepreneurship (3 units)
- INDENG 290: Master Class for New Ventures & Research Impact (MTI Course) (3 units)
Additional UC Berkeley courses*
- Engineering 120: Principles of Engineering Economics
- INDENG 170: Industrial Design and Human Factors
- CS 294-84: Integrated Device Design
- CS 294-85: Critical Making
- Mec Eng 110: Introduction to Product Development
Undergrad Business Administration
- UGBA 105: Leading People
- UGBA 190T: Intellectual Property for Entrepreneurs
- Sociology 121: Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Social and Cultural Context
International and Area Studies:
- IAS 150: Social Innovator On-Ramp
* These courses are subject to change and may not be offered every semester
Ready to apply?
Applications are due October 15th, 2017 for Spring 2018.
Both and international and U.S. students can easily apply for the program online.
For more information or if you have questions about Startup Semester at Berkeley, fill out the form provided and we will contact you soon. Thank you for your interest!