On behalf of the Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology, we would like to invite you to the 9th Global Venture Lab at UC Berkeley.
The Global Venture Lab (GVL) is an international summit of academics, entrepreneurs, and innovators sharing common research and educational programs to spur new industry and economic growth. Since our first event in 2009, GVL continues to be an extraordinary opportunity to network, learn, and share best practices among entrepreneurship centers around the world.
We look forward to hosting you at UC Berkeley!
Dates: Monday, August 20 and Tuesday, August 21, 2018
Location: Jacobs Hall, Room 310, and California Memorial Stadium (CMS) Room 122 on the UC Berkeley Campus
Speaker Sessions - Jacobs Hall, Room 310
Networking Reception - Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship & Technology, CMS 122
Registration: Available on Eventbrite HERE.
Please see 2018 programming below.
Future of E14P
08:30 Sign-in and Continental Breakfast @Jacobs Hall, Room 310
09:00 Kick-Off with Ikhlaq Sidhu, SCET Founder & Faculty Director, Susan Giesecke, SCET Director of Global Engagement and Ken Singer, SCET Managing Director
09:05 Berkeley Plenary with Prof. Ikhlaq Sidhu, SCET Founder & Faculty Director
09:30 Topic: New Initiatives & Programs - TED talk style presentations from our Global Partners, moderated by Jocelyn Weber, SCET Director of Executive Programs
- Tom Byers, Stanford University
- Christoph Selig, Kilometer1 Konstanz, Germany
- Kalle Airo, Aalto University, Finland
- Hermes Aguiar Magalhães, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG), Brazil
10:30 Coffee break
10:45 Roundtable preview and team formation for "future of entrepreneurship" led by Ken Singer, SCET Managing Director.
11:15 Topic: New Initiatives & Programs continued, moderated by Jocelyn Weber, SCET Director of Executive Programs.
- Marko Seppä, Global Enabler Corporation, Finland
- Sathya Prasad, PES University, India
- Hannes Raffaseder, St. Poelten University of Applied Sciences in Austria
- Dr. Maher Hakim, Qatar Science & Technology Park (QSTP), Qatar
12:15 Sunway partnership agreement announcement with Tsu-Jae King Liu, Dean of UC Berkeley Engineering, Sunway Education Group executive director, Dr. Elizabeth Lee, and Sunway iLabs director, Matthew van Leeuwen @Jacobs Hall, Room 310
12:30 Design lunch for E14P @Jacobs Hall, Room 310
14:00 Post lunch reports (3-minute elevator pitches)
14:45 Topic: Education - TED talk style presentations from our Global Partners, moderated by Ken Singer, SCET Managing Director
- Rodrigo de Alvarenga, HAG Consulting & Ventures, Brazil
- Rafael Lorenzo Piñón, Tecnológico de Monterrey, México
15:15 Presentation from ARCHER student group
15:30 Coffee break
15:45 Collaborations rountable with Ken Singer on Relationships & Partnerships
16:45 Ken Singer, SCET Managing Director and Mari Suoranta, Assistant Professor at University of Jyväskylä School of Business and Economics, present "10 Years of GVL"
17:00 Walk to SCET, CMS 122
17:15-19:00 Networking reception, refreshments will be served
08:30 Continental breakfast @Jacobs Hall, Room 310
09:00 Recap Day 1 and overview of Day 2 with Ken Singer, SCET Managing Director
09:30 Data/AI Meets Entrepreneurship & Innovation - Topics to be covered are Data-X, Sustainable Foods, Sports Tech
10:45 Topic: Data & Technology - TED talk style presentations from our Global Partners, moderated by Ikhlaq Sidhu, SCET Founder and Faculty Director
- Dr. Dhrubes Biswas Ph.D, UC Berkeley formerly with the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur, India
- Elena M. Górriz Royo, University of Valencia, Spain
11:15 Partnerships in Action: Leveraging SCET Resources
- Global Bootcamps with Gigi Wang, Chair & Director of Berkeley Startup Bootcamps and Collider workshops
- Semester at Berkeley: Startup Semester + Startup Fellows with David Law, SCET Director of Global Academic Programs
- Silicon Valley Innovation Week (SVIL) Executive Program with Jocelyn Weber, SCET Director of Executive Programs
12:00 Lunch & Networking @Jacobs Hall, Room 310
13:30 Topic: Data & Technology continued, moderated by Ikhlaq Sidhu, SCET Founder and Faculty Director
- Fu Zhi Jian (Alex), Zhejiang Turtle Science and Technology Co., Ltd.
- Sam Kondo Steffensen, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark
- Werner Creixell, Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
14:30 Topic: Ecosystem - TED talk style presentations from our Global Partners, moderated by Susan Giesecke, SCET Director of Global Engagement
- Karla Rocha Liboreiro, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Barbara Flügge, Ph.D., Digitizing Ecosystems
15:00 Report out, followed by closing remarks from the GVL team and final reception. Light refreshments will be served.
Recent Global Venture Lab Reports
Paper submitted to: University of California Berkeley SCET- GVL Summit Conference 2018 – “Future of Entrepreneurship with Examples from Data, AI, and Stem subjects” August, 20th &21st, 2018. Authors: Karla Rocha Liboreiro; Paulo Sérgio Uliana Junior; Rudolf Huebner. Please click … Read More
Entrepreneurship Best Practices Crossing Borders
The goal of the Global Venture Network is to share best practices to foster innovation and entrepreneurship in a university environment with the intent to help create new companies and industries. GVL strives to develop an entrepreneurial ecosystem that supports venture creation and innovation between Berkeley and global partners. Industry-changing innovation and leadership stretch well beyond geographical boundaries at GVL.
Recommended for: Academic Institutions interested in developing and sharing best practices for entrepreneurship instruction.