The Alt: Meat Lab at the Sutardja Center for Entrepreneurship and Technology (SCET) at the University of California, Berkeley is actively seeking applications for the role of Horticultural Research Assistant. This position will assist with plant research projects to help grow and take care of plants that produce key ingredients used in human vaccines and foods. The Alt: Meat Lab will hire 2-3 students for this position.
- Assist on site at Oxford Tract Greenhouse (Rausser Colege of Natural Resources) with growing and taking care of plants.
- Support the research team with seed selection, planting, repotting and pruning.
- Keep detailed records to be used in research studies.
- Reliable work ethic and positive attitude
- Basic knowledge of planting and cultivation.
- Studying horticultural or related field
- Interest in plant science and research
- Experience with commercial or academic plant production
Working Conditions/ Physical Demands
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Work is performed in the field, greenhouse, lab and office.
- Must be able to work outdoors and/or indoors and lift 50 lbs.
- During harvest, the hours are long and may include some weekends and holidays.
- Capable of working long hours during time-critical periods of the growing season.
- Capable of working in high or low temperature conditions in field or greenhouse.
- Potential allergens; pollen, dust, insects, fungal spores, chemical pesticides in the greenhouse and fields.
- Work may be required during school breaks.
* The work environment is both indoors and outdoors, including all-weather conditions: cold, muddy, windy, hail, foggy, or rainy in winter, and hot and very sunny during summer. Temperatures may average 65-80°F in office areas, and temperatures outside and indoor (greenhouse) may range from 32-110°F.
The hourly rate of this position is $22/hr; the position is designed for 8-10 hours workload per week.
Application Deadline: 2/28/2024