Co-Founder / Chief Science Officer @ Kinoko Labs
Job Title: Co-Founder / Chief Science Officer (m/f/d) full time
Location: United States / Flexible
Starting Date: As early as possible
Kinoko Labs is a biotech company on a mission to create the most delicious whole-cut meat alternatives, grown naturally from mycelium. We are creating better than-meat products that deliver on the entire taste experience, nutrition, and affordability without compromise. At Kinoko Labs, we are leveraging fermentation, an ancient technique used for thousands of years, and biotechnology innovation to bring fungi-based whole-cut meat alternatives to the market. Our vision is to accelerate the world’s transition to an environmentally sustainable, equitable, and animal-free food system.
We are looking for a Co-Founder / Chief Science Officer to lead the development and scaling of our mycelium-based technology. You should be a passionate expert in microbial fermentation, ideally with previous experience in cultivating fungi. You should have an entrepreneurial drive and mindset, high ambition and the ability to lead the development of our upstream and downstream bioprocess. You should be comfortable recruiting and managing a team, while also representing our company’s mission and core values.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Build and lead the R&D, benchtop, and fermentation team
- Help set and execute the strategic and tactical direction in upstream process development and related technologies
- Oversee, direct, and analyze experiments carried out at all scales.
- Serve as subject matter expert in bioprocess development
- Build strategic partnerships with the best universities and institutes operating at the cutting edge of science and technology
- Assist with shaping Kinoko Labs’ overall direction as a company and support its evolving needs, as needed
- MS/PhD in Microbiology / biotechnology/ biochemistry/ biochemical engineering / food technology or related discipline
- Strong track record of leadership; ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams
- Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of developing plans to improve internal competencies and technologies to achieve company
- Dedication to creating a technology platform from the ground up
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to link with internal and external stakeholders
- Growth mindset: Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced and challenging startup environment, doing what needs to be done for the business regardless of your title.
- Previous experience in cultivating filamentous edible fungi across research, development, and commercial scales
- Previous experience with using sidestreams as fermentation substrate
- Experience in managing a bioprocess development team
- Previous experience in the food production industry
- Knowledge and experience in process engineering
- Opportunity to join a dynamic and diverse mission-driven team with sky-high ambitions to build the future of food
- Chance to shape and co-create our scientific strategy at an early-stage
- Opportunity to work in an innovative environment with flexible working hours and minimal hierarchy
If this description sounds like your dream job, please reach out to us!
- Send the following application materials to email@example.com with subject line “Co-Founder Position”: CV, Cover letter
- In the body of the email, please include your earliest starting date.